The Juneau Reentry Coalition (JREC) is a volunteer organization of about 200 individuals and organizations supporting successful transitions for people returning to the community after incarceration, and other individuals involved with the justice system.
Members include people with lived experience of incarceration, community advocates, corrections, Alaska Native organizations, public health and social services, vocational rehabilitation, housing, transitional living, legislators, domestic violence shelters, mental health and addiction treatment providers, faith-based organizations, public safety, youth services, and others. Coalition members also realize the importance of addressing the needs of a new pretrial population of justice-involved individuals who will need similar community supports since the state’s Division of Pretrial Services became operational in January 2018.
JREC collaborates with the Alaska Mental Health Trust Authority, Department of Corrections, Department of Health and Social Services, Department of Labor and Workforce Development, and community partners, to assess and mobilize resources that address barriers and build community services for justice-involved individuals.
The mission of the JREC is to promote public safety by identifying and implementing strategies that increase a former prisoner’s well-being within the community and reduces the likelihood of their return to prison.
We will accomplish this by:
- Improved communication and collaboration between the Alaska Department of Corrections, other State agencies, and the community.
- Building community partnerships to strengthen local services.
- Identifying barriers to successful reentry into the community after incarceration and taking an active role in addressing those concerns.
- Support transitioning offenders in accessing community support services pre/post-release.
- Work in conjunction with the Alaska Reentry Task Force to inform and promote reentry efforts within Alaska.
- Promote community awareness about underlying causes and conditions that lead to incarceration.